Licence <-> hostname issue

Re my previous issue: I wonder if hostname can be different at different networks.
When I launch duplicacy at work it is all good
When I launch it at home on the same laptop it complains that it is registered to a different host.

This looks like a macOS feature. A potential solution is here: https://superuser.com/questions/49891/how-can-i-stop-mac-os-x-overriding-my-hostname-when-i-receive-a-dhcp-request-on

1 Like

I use MacOS and hostname (reported by hostname) indeed changes between home and work (i…e my MacBook Pro is called mbp.home.mydomain.com at home and mbp.corporate.network.com at work).

What I did was I went to my customer account at duplicacy and set license hostname to mbp. Then on a Mac I did sudo hostname mbp, started Duplicacy and registered it with the key. It accepted the key.

With that it still works when I reconnect to another network: I can exit duplicacy, re-launch it after the hostname has been changed to either of FQDNs and it does not complain about licensing.

Not sure whether this is a bug or by design - but that’s what I observe.

Basically what I try to claim is that if it is registered at a short name, not FQDN, it will work even if the hostname is appended with the domain. We don’t have source code so we can’t confirm.