Move Storage and keep backups/schedules

Hi there,

is it possible to move the backup storage to another cloud space and keep backup jobs and schedules?

You can certainly move your storage but you may have to recreate the jobs and schedules (which doesn’t take a lot of time to do) - to point to the new location/URL…

The simplest way would be to create a second storage, make it copy-compatible with the first storage, then do a copy schedule. Once complete, recreate backup jobs and schedules to the new storage and delete the old ones.

Very likely you won’t need to change any jobs, if - after the move of the storage - you delete the storage in Duplicacy and create a new storage with the same name that points to the new location.

While you are moving the files, you should suspend any jobs that work on that storage.

The simplest way would be to move all data and then change URL for the storage in question in duplicacy.json to point to the new location.

I’ve done it myself way too many times (I’ve changed storage providers A LOT…) — can’t be any more straightforward than that.

2 Likes

I also use this approach.

In fact, one of the “features” I like most in the web version is being able to change settings “in batch”, just by editing a single json file. On the other hand, I also understand that this option is not comfortable for a basic user.

First thank you all very much!
I try the solution with the json file first. But as I need to transfer 3TB first it could take some time :stuck_out_tongue:

hi, I copied 16TB of backups over to the new storage media and tried to modify the duplicacy.json file as per above. but cannot get the restore function in the GUI to see any Backup ID’s. I manually changed the owner and permissions as they set to the user performing to copy. They match the original backup media. The original config file on the original disk is encrypted but on the copy its not. I am very unsure why to do and how to complete this task now of moving to a new media with the existing backup data. I am running Duplicacy as a docker. Any suggestions?

I do not know if it is a good way or not but I figured out something :slight_smile:

If you remove a connected storage, it is gone. But all other settings seem to be still in the config and valid. They are not shown, because no storage could be connected to them.

So if you add another storage with the same name, the schedlues reappear.

As I mentioned before, I have no clue if this is good or bad. But I deleted the old connected storage, moved the files to the new location and added the new location with the very same name as the old one. All jobs reappeared and are working.

2 Likes