Need help setting up a Backblaze B2 bucket for backup: encryption

I have just signed up to Backblaze B2 and I intend to purchase Duplicacy (commercial edition) to backup my files to a B2 bucket.

Upon creating the bucket in Backblaze, I was presented with an option for server-side encryption. See screenshot below.

I am curious to know if it is recommended, or discouraged, to activate the encryption option if my intent is to use Duplicacy to back up data to that bucket. The bucket will serve no other purpose.

My end goal is to indeed have my data encrypted – but the guide I found on this site seems to imply that Duplicacy could perform encryption itself. Am I understanding this right? If my end goal is just to have the data encrypted, should I just let B2 encrypt it? Or should I just let Duplicacy encrypt? Or both? Is there any way that Duplicacy could run into issues if the encryption is managed on the Backblaze side?

1 Like

Disable bucket side encryption. Both B2 encryption and Backblaze Personal/business backup encryption is a useless gimmick because to decrypt your data you need to give them your decryption keys. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Enable encryption within duplicacy.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.