Need Some Clarification

I am just getting started but need to clarify and understand if I’m setting things up correctly. I have setup 2 computers (1 macOS and 1 Linux). I have 2 destinations, a local Synology NAS and B2 for offsite. On the Mac I have this scheduled:

Hourly:

1. Backup to NAS.
  2. Copy to B2.

Daily

1. Prune NAS.
  2. Check NAS.
  3. Prune B2.
  4. Check B2.

Does this seem like what I should be doing?

Further, on the Linux computer, I am backing up to the exact same location on the NAS. So does that mean that it’s backups would get included in the Mac’s copy job? What about prune and check? I’m unsure if I need to be doing copy, prune and check on both systems or just one.

1 Like

When using copy, check, or prune, most of the time you’ll want to use the -all flag, which operates on the whole of the storage, and not just the one machine’s repositories.

So yes, you only need to (and should) do those operations on one of the 2 machines. The other machine just needs to do backup jobs only.

Also, advise to use the same prune retention periods for your NAS and B2, and run them on the same days.

1 Like

When using copy , check , or prune , most of the time you’ll want to use the -all flag, which operates on the whole of the storage, and not just the one machine’s repositories.

I assume I can just add that flag in the options field of the web UI?

Also, advise to use the same prune retention periods for your NAS and B2, and run them on the same days.

I have them both using the defaults and running in the same schedule one after the other (not parallel).

Yes! The command options.

Ideally, they should finish before the next backup.

So it is important to check the duration of the prune (which is usually very fast).