New feature: run the web GUI as a Windows service

This new version of the web GUI can now run as a Windows service:

https://acrosync.com/duplicacy-web/duplicacy_web_installer_win64_1.1.0.exe

Run the installer in an administrator DOS prompt, select Install for All Users, and you’ll see the option to install the service at the last step.

Or you can run this command in an administrator DOS prompt after the program has been installed:

\path\to\duplicacy_web_win_x64_1.1.0.exe -install-service

A new service, named Duplicacy Web Edition, will be installed and started automatically. You can then open the web browser at 127.0.0.1:3875.

With the service installed you’ll find settings and logs under C:\ProgramData\.duplicacy-web.

To uninstall the service, use the -uninstall-service option.

\path\to\duplicacy_web_win_x64_1.1.0.exe -uninstall-service
9 Likes

Why is executable placed under AppData folder? Those profile folders are intended for user specific data such as settings, per ms application design guidelines — They are often replicated and backed up. Application executable is opposite of that in nature. Even ProgramData folder would be more appropriate alternative for Program Files to avoid elevated rights requirement for installation — but in case of the service this is also moot point.

I have the same concern for web frontend on macOS which is keeping the CLi binary in the user config folder.

2 Likes

Agreed. Putting it into some profile folder - it is a task for everyone, especially as a service - is wrong. But starting it as a service is a good move. Finally!

Thanks for the update.
But I thing that “manual” should also state that if settings are located in “C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile”, then this folder will be lost in every Windows 10 upgrade. The systemprofile folder remains in the folder Windows.old

It’s not Duplicati specific problem - for example Veeam (Services suddenly stopped working after upgrade to Microsoft Windows 10) and Duplicati ( Tasks disapears on windows 10 ) have same problem.
So it should be made clear that people know what to expect…

1 Like

Haven’t yet installed the new version but I agree that this location is very unusual, you also have to grant permissions to the top two directories to see it.

For system-wide settings, they usually go in C:\ProgramData.

User settings usually go in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local or AppData\Roaming - depending on whether it’s important settings or junk local data.

For example, Firefox keeps all the settings a user might want to keep forever - like cookies, bookmarks etc. - under Roaming, and stuff like the browser cache under Local.

Perhaps AppData would also be a better place to store .duplicacy-web too, instead of the user’s home? Then it wouldn’t need a leading dot to hide it - could just be called DuplicacyWeb or just Duplicacy.

@Droolio it it not unusual, it’s default location (like appdata) for SYSTEM account. If you create custom windows account a run service under him, you can use C:\Users\THAT ACCOUNT\AppData\ …

Yea I know it exists; I administer quite a lots of Windows workstations and servers - that location is rarely used in my experience - pretty unusual to find important settings in there, for most modern programs anyway…

AppData isn’t suitable for Windows Services unless running under a different user account and I can’t see a need for that.

So for the default system account, the usual place is %PROGRAMDATA%.

Maybe this stems from the decision to put stuff in %HOME%\.duplicacy-web - which seems to be a Linux convention. Quite a lot of cross-platform programs still seem to use it. But on Windows, there’s a whole bunch of places that are recommended and standard, as noted above.

1 Like

Is there a changelog of what’s new in 1.0.2? Aside from running as a service? Or is that all?

This version fixed many issues/bugs reported on 1.0.0. It is intended to be released as 1.1.0, and I’ll post the change log when 1.1.0 is out.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.