Newbie: Recommended usage of --repository and --pref-dir

Hi All,

I’m a newbie to duplicacy, and I’m in the phase of testing it out for my cloud backups. I’m planning to use the wasabi backend since they allow a free 1-month 1TB trial.

I tried reading through a couple of forum topics such as:

but I’m not sure I get the big picture view. I’m trying to accomplish what others in the posts are: keep my repository directories free from any duplicacy metadata like .duplicacy folder, preferences files etc. I believe the recommended way is to use a different folder for the .duplicacy/preferences setup and then use the --repository flag during init to point to the repository directory, correct? And this would keep my repository pristine clean without any metadata?

If the above is correct, how would I manage the preferences for various different repositories? Apologies if this is already answered, but from the long forum discussions, it’s sometimes difficult get to the summary.

Thanks for your help, and thanks for releasing the CLI version free for personal use!

Yes. Yes. :slightly_smiling_face:

You will have to use a folder (or sub folder) for each setting. I use something like this:

duplicacy_prefs/
β”œβ”€β”€ repo1/
β”‚   └── .duplicacy
β”‚       β”œβ”€β”€ filters
β”‚       β”œβ”€β”€ keyring
β”‚       └── preferences
β”œβ”€β”€ repo2/
β”‚   └── .duplicacy
β”‚       β”œβ”€β”€ filters
β”‚       β”œβ”€β”€ keyring
β”‚       └── preferences
β”œβ”€β”€ repo3/

Just remember that folders like cache and logs will also stay in this folder. I clean the cache regularly with a script.

Take a look: