Noob config questions

1. Is it possible to use the Web-UI version on a headless (non-gui) server & access it from a remote computer?

2. On a Fedora 32 Server (w Xfce gui), when I try to initialize storage (mounted at /mnt/data), it fails to initialize - permission denied. I’ve tried changing ownership of that folder between user & root, but Istill get the same error message.
    If I try a folder like Documents, initialization works fine.

What am I missing?

Figured out #2 by setting the correct permissions.

Question #1 is still a ?

I’m running the Duplicacy Web-UI server on a Synology NAS, which I guess you would call headless? In any case my only access to the NAS is remote, so, hopefully that’s what you’re talking about. I used this guide when setting it up: Duplicacy Web on Synology Diskstation without Docker | Trinkets, Odds, and Ends This guide is specific to Synology DSM (which is the customized GNU/Linux that Synology servers run), but the install script could be easily adapted to another Linux flavor, and the upstart service setup could be adapted to systemd, et cetera.

Basically if there is a release of duplicacy-web compiled for your server’s OS available for download, and if you can reach your server over the network (on port 3875 or whatever port you configure), then you should be able to do what you’re looking to do.

Edit: specifically about the “access it from a remote computer” part of your question, if you are the only user who would ever potentially have access to this then I recommend following the "Setting listening_address to 0.0.0.0:3875" portion of that article. If, however, you find yourself in a multi-user environment and security is a concern, then you will likely need to make use of ssh tunneling in order to make a secure connection to the Duplicacy Web-UI from a remote machine.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I was looking for.
I’ll read up on that link.