Other options for commercial CLI licenses?

Evidently you only license the CLI version for commercial use by user but it’s hard to know what I should do for my use case.

I work for a company that is a VAR for certain Oracle software that uses an Oracle database back end. As part of the service we provide when we do installs, we set up automated rotating backups that we move off host. I had been using borg backup + SFTP to do this. The database backups deduplicate nicely.

Duplicacy is very interesting because of its native support for various cloud back ends and its novel approach to get rid of the chunk database. We could consolidate the storage for our customers and give them each their own bucket.

You license the CLI version by user. In this case, though, the software would be running in a cron job. There would be no readily identifiable user, as the backup is a service being provided to the organization, not to any user. Licensing by machine would make more sense for this but it’s not an option listed on your web site.

In the past I have been offering potential users in a similar situation another option – they can buy GUI licenses, one for each machine, and then they can run the CLI version freely on these machines. This option takes off the burden of giving a precise definition of what a user is for every use case, yet it may end up less expensive than the per-user license in the long run.

I should clearly state this on the web site.

I see … thanks for clarifying this.