Password command details

The password command decrypts the storage configuration file (config) using the old password, and re-encrypts the file using a new password.

It does not change all the encryption keys used to encrypt and decrypt chunk files, snapshot files, etc.

Quick overview

USAGE:
   duplicacy password [command options]

OPTIONS:
   -storage <storage name>      change the password used to access the specified storage
   -iterations <i>              the number of iterations used in storage key derivation (default is 16384)

Usage

duplicacy password [command options]

The password command requires no arguments, changing a password is an interactive process.

Options

-storage <storage name>

You can specify the storage to change the password for when working with multiple storages.

-iterations <i>

The -iterations option specifies how many iterations are used to generate the key that encrypts the config file from the storage password.

Not for me:

/duplicacy password
The new password is the same as the old one

I did not enter anything.

Next question:
While creating the backup I used the ā€œ-eā€ option to encrypt my backup. Is there a way to change the password on the fly in case of a stolen password or do i need to reupload the whole backup with a new key?

As far as i understand the password change only decrypts / re-encrypts the storage config file, it does not affect the encryption keys used with the chunks.

1 Like