Permissions on Linux

Hi,

I’m using Duplicacy Web Edition running in Docker and I set the user ID and group ID to both be 1,000, which is what my user on Linux is.

But I get some errors from Duplicacy about permission denied for files that have different permissions.

Should I specify different user/group ID in Docker to fix this? If so, what ID?

Thanks,

If some of your files are not readable by the user 1000 then that’s expected.

If they cannot be made readable by user 1000 you may consider running duplicacy as root (User 0).

If you have apparmor or selinux enabled then things get a bit more complicated.

Are there any risks/issues with running as root? I’m pretty new at Linux and generally confused by permissions.

I would just change that setting in Docker, I assume?

It’s generally safer to limit permissions, but it’s not unreasonable for a backup program to need access to everything so running it as root may be justified.

Depends on which container you are using.

Some allow to specify user id and group id they run duplicacy under in the environment variables. If so, set them to 0. Some don’t, in this case you can use --user flag to docker, if you use docker.

I’m using your container according to the username!

I saw other threads about running root but “read only” and I’m not sure I understand what that means? Is that an env variable? Or this would involve creating a new user with read-only permissions in Linux?

When you create a mount for the container, you can specify how you want to mount it — read/write or readonly. So duplicacy will run as root, but because the only thing that root can see (other than data container itself) is what is mounted to it. If it’s mounted readonly — then it’s readonly.

To restore, however you would need to either configure it to mount read-write or mount some other folder read-write and restore into there

Ah, cool. Okay I think I know how to do that in Portainer. Thanks!