Plans for a Linux GUI

I too am very interested in a Linux GUI version. I hope you find a way to get one out this summer!

I just purchased a personal license without realizing there is no GUI for linux. If a GUI is currently near completion, Iā€™ll keep the license. Otherwise, Iā€™d like a refund.

The new version of UI will be a web UI which will support all OSes.
Hereā€™s a quick preview: Screenshots of the new web-based GUI.

More details about the timeline can only be supplied by @gchen.

My new estimate is the end of October. Sorry for pushing back the date again, but this time it is close and I think it should take less than a month to finish what is left, so the end of October is a very conservative estimate.

@weyman.martin If you want to get a refund please message me.

5 Likes

Any status update for us Linux people?

I should make a beta testing version available next week. This is a hard deadline so even if some features are missing Iā€™ll still release it.

Currently backup, copy, check, and prune are working; restore is yet to be done but it is more of a UI task. The rest that needs to be done includes the dashboard page (which should be fairly easy) and the email notifications.

7 Likes

I also look forward to a Linux GUI, I am just starting out using Duplicacy for my backups, but I find the configuration and setup to be less intuitive with respect to, say, restic.

With moving from CrashPlan to Wasabi, I was excited to snag a license and start using Duplicacy for all kinds of backups; local, NAS and S3, but I couldnā€™t for the life of me find the GUI version for Linux. Then I came to the hard realization (on my own) that there isnā€™t a GUI for Linux. So I tried the web-GUI but, once I got a backup set up and scheduled (just local folder to NAS folder), nothing happened. I ran it manually and nothing. So Iā€™m baffled.

Does the web-GUI need the CLI version installed previously so it can use it on the back-end or is it a complete product on itā€™s own? Also, I saw Duplicati was using Mono to package itā€™s Linux version. While Mono is bulky, itā€™s a solution to a GUI. That got me wondering, is there any reason a Linux user couldnā€™t use the Windows version with WINE in Linux?

Right now the web version is still in beta. Give it a little more time and will work.

The web version doesnā€™t need anything installed as it downloads the latest CLI release from github on the first run, as long as it has internet access and write access to your home directory (where it creates some hidden .duplicacy-web folder ā€“ i might be wrong with the name)

Iā€™ll be releasing a new beta version of the web GUI next week which will be close to the final release.

1 Like

Iā€™m also looking forward to a Linux or web GUI version, as I just bought a license for my Linux box without understanding that there wasnā€™tā€¦ actually a GUI version for Linux at all. Happy to donate to development, but I was a bit surprised!

1 Like

You can test and give feedback of the new web gui @ Duplicacy Web Edition 0.2.10 Beta is now available

1 Like

Currently the website (duplicacy.com) presents all the details about the native gui which works well and is the main consumer :d: product. The native gui has no linux support.

The new web-ui (v1.0 release is found in the #announcement category, in one of the first 5 links) supports all 3 major OSes, plus arm (so NASes) and probably other targets that GO compiles to.

Since it has just became stable, it doesnā€™t have very much documentation, and most of the discussions appear in a handful of topics tagged #web-ui.

If you find that the web-ui has too many rough edges, i advise you to wait a few months until it gets more polish and the ui gets refined in version 1.1 or 1.2, but there should be no problems in using it now as backup, restore and check do work. Thereā€™s even a docker integration created by community members.

The plan is the web-UI will replace the old native gui, therefore this (web-ui) is where all the effort is currently poured into, so by all means it is not some minor beta fluke that the developers threw out to the community.

2 Likes

Iā€™m working on a user guide for the new web GUI, which should be available by the end of this week.

3 Likes

Yes.

It does.

#worksOnMyMachine!

You can try and use the CLI version for testing. Try some backups and some restores, see if the speed :d: provides works for you. In this way you wonā€™t have to wait until web-ui is finished.

If you use it in debugging mode (eg. duplicacy -d -log backup), and paste the error output here, we can also understand why B2 (or even local) storage doesnā€™t work on your machine.

Of course if the gui is a MUST HAVE / WONā€™T WAIT, then you can use other backup software, as thereā€™s plenty, and handle their bugs like file listing trashing the hard-drive for multiple hours, 1GB backups lasting several more and data getting corrupted just because.
That is a perfectly fine option.

It is my own advice as a very happy :d: customer (albeit CLI only) and also part of the staff and helpers around here. I donā€™t represent Acrosync LLC, nor am i an employee. Iā€™m just a user who cares.

The only official Acrosync staff around here is afaik @gchen.

Now going about the error.

I see that you already downloaded the latest cli version from github for your architecture.

I think itā€™s somehow related to this other issue: So how does the gnome keyring work with sudo?, where keyring doesnā€™t work with sudo (i see you run the commands as root).

Are you running on a nas by any chance? coz that may also create some problems.

@gchen knows best this stuff though, so iā€™m inviting him to chime in.

This is the same bug as Setting up Duplicacy for a headless job on Linux

Basically you have DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS set but for some reason it isnā€™t working. Duplicacy should have handled this situation more gracefully but you can unset this variable as a workaround.

2 Likes

try running

unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS

Before running duplicacy

As the web-ui is finally here, iā€™m marking this #feature request as #implemented!

Please comment or create new tasks for the bugs you may encounter or all the feature requests.