Problems with the web-ui

I just tried the web gui. It now offers support for https, and the docs say it would even get a cert via let’s encrypt.

Problems I encountered (and could not solve):

• It’s not clear what to input into the gui’s fields for HTTPS address and HTTPS domain. The fields suggest to put just a port number (prefixed with “:”) into the first field, but is that really correct?
  • Bug: When I enter anything, even just changing the HTTP address and then click Save, the service says to restart, but then shows the OLD values again after a refresh. I found that I had to actually stop and relaunch the gui manually to make the changes work. Background: I am on Debian 10, and launched the gui manually from the cmdline. It’s not clear how the program wants to relaunch itself in this case - maybe it expects to run as a service under a specific name? But the quick install instructions do not mention anything about setting this up, or do they?
  • Assuming my server’s IP is 22.33.44.55, and the A record for it named “my.domain.com”: When I enter “22.33.44.55:3877” into “HTTPS address” and “my.domain.com” into “HTTPS domain” and then relaunch the gui, it never starts up. Using the “-print-credentials” I see only:
    Log directory set to /root/.duplicacy-web/logs
    Duplicacy Web Edition 1.1.0 (818F2B)
  • Could it be that it wants to register with Let’s encrypt but doesn’t succeed? If it does, I need to see some progress about it. Also some docs that tell me what protocol it wants to use, or how I can supply the certs manally, because I wonder if it fails because my firewall blocks the verification process (which requires an open port for that).
1 Like

You also need to enter “22.33.44.55:80” into “HTTP address”. This is needed to respond to the http challenge required by Let’s encrypt.

Wouldn’t it be better to only use domain name instead of ip when the server is internet-facing?
Second q: afaik letsencrypt does’t give certificates for ip-only. Are you sure this works without using a domain name?