"prune" not working as expected or misunderstanding?

Hi,

I have 2 x prune schedules setup as follows for my 2 storage’s:

The problem no snapshots/revisions get deleted…I still have them from Jan 2019, when I shouldn’t have more than 90 days worth…

An output from the prune log:

Running prune command from /mnt/Datastore/tmp/localhost/all
Options: [-log prune -storage Local-Disk-USB -keep 0:90 -keep 7:30 -keep 1:7 -threa
2019-0
2019-05-08 00:00:01.562 INFO STORAGE_SET Storage set to /mnt/Local-Bac2019-05-08 00:00:08.373 INFO RETENTION_POLICY Keep no snapshots older than 90 days
2019-05-08 00:00:08.373 INFO RETENTION_POLICY Keep 1 snapshot every 7 day(s) if older than 30 day(s)
2019-05-08 00:00:08.373 INFO RETENTION_POLICY Keep 1 snapshot every 1 day(s) if older than 7 day(s)
2019-05-08 00:20:23.245 INFO SNAPSHOT_NONE No snapshot to delete
delete

This is what I see in the Restore dialog:

Has anyone seen this before, or am I not understanding the pruning process/snapshots/revisions properly?

Thanks!

Cheers pdaemon

Have you run a backup on all repositories since your first prune?

Duplicacy uses a two-step process when pruning backups - collection and deletion. The latter happens after a second run of prune but not before every repository has been backed up again at least once.

1 Like

Hi Droolio,

I run a backup every hour to local-disk, then send a copy to B2:
This seems to be working well.

Please see below:

Are you saying that because I do a “copy” to B2 and not a backup, then nothing gets deleted?

Cheers pdaemon

A copy is effectively the same as a backup - it produces new revisions - so the next prune should see them and delete the fossils collected before that.

Perhaps you have another issue, because AFAIK the revisions shown in your restore pull-down should’ve been removed in the first step (collection). Chunk deletion occurs in the second step, but that seems to be irrelevant here.

I honestly can’t think why, apart from… is your clock set right? :slight_smile:

You need the -all option to delete old snapahots from other repositories. It is a bug that the web GUI didn’t add it for you, but you do it youself by clicking the options text.

3 Likes

Thanks very much gchen, this fixed the problem…All relevant snapshots are not getting removed as expected.

Cheers pdaemon