Purpose of "computers" array in duplicacy.json

So I was just looking through duplicacy.json and the folder structure under /var/cache/duplicacy and noticed the reference to localhost which shows up in the repositories directory (and others) seems to stem from the computers array in duplicacy.json. But “localhost” is the only defined computer. How does the web-ui decide what computer its on? Could other computers be defined in that array? And to what use would that be?

I’m intrigued as I’m setting up a multi-computer system in my home and wondering if this is a way to share duplicacy.json across all of them, while still defining per-computer settings.

Just speculating here, but it’s probably just for future-proofing. At the moment, Duplicacy Web Edition runs jobs locally - localhost is always the local machine. I guess in future it could potentially be able to run and monitor jobs on remote computers?

As for your idea of sharing settings, I guess it might work, but that file seems to reference a lot of stuff - including log files and credentials. Credentials are encrypted using the computer’s own keyring manager and not usually transportable, they’re supposed to be quite unique.

So while it might be interesting to compare settings (say with Beyond Compare), I’d personally just recreate the setup manually within the web UI in the time it’d take to navigate what does what. :slight_smile:

1 Like