Renaming an existing snapshot id

Hi,

If I want to rename a snapshot id, is it as simple as changing the folder name in the storage “snapshots” folder, and updating the “id” in the preferences json file?

Thanks,
-Alex

Yep.

Eventually also delete from local cache.

1 Like

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I don’t mess something up!

Actually no, i think i am wrong! I don’t think it’s that simple if you are encrypted. I think there is an issue on GitHub (or here in the forum) about renaming. Please check those first!

1 Like

Noted, I’ll use a small test repository first, thanks.

@TheBestPessimist is right. If the storage is encrypted then you can’t simply rename the snapshot folder.

Hi,
I guess this problem still exsits. So it is not possible to rename Snapshots when encryption is used.
Which tasks do I have to execute to create a new snapshot id based on the old one without the need to reupload everything?

You don’t have to re-upload everything - the chunk data can be de-duplicated even if you started future backups with a fresh snapshot ID. Those snapshot files are basically just the metadata.

1 Like

thanks for this tip
basically I can create a new snapshot id on the same storage witht he same source files and after that one I can delete the old snapshot?

Yep, exactly that - and as a final clean-up, you could run a Prune operation with the -exhaustive flag to get rid of any unreferenced chunks (there might be a handful).

Is there a git ticket for renaming a snapshot within an encrypted storage?