Restore vm under a different name

It makes a copy of vm from the main host to the sftp repository.
On the same main host, I would like to have a valid copy of vm restored from the backup under a different name, eg vm1_backup.
Is it enough to copy daily data from sftp/snapshots/vm1 to sftp/snapshots/vm1_backup and restore vm1_backup will be a copy of vm1? Is this good stuff?
It seems that it works only when restoring data the file with the vmdk drive is not restored in the main directory vm1_backup, only the entire directory path /vmfk/volumes/…/vm1.vmdk is created. Can this be changed?

And also the issue of verticalbackup license.
I made pendrive image with the main host and uploaded to the second server - a backup host.
I copied the vertical backup directory from the main host to the backup host and restoring vm1 from sftp works fine.
Is this correct with a license to recover vm copies on a backup host that has been made from the main host using the same license?

This will work only when the storage is not encrypted. Moreover, vm1_backup restored in this way will be an exact copy of vm1 (on a file-by-file basis), but for vm1_backup to be recognized by ESXi as a different vm you’ll need to manually modify the vmx file.

Only the backup command requires a license. All other commands do not need a license to run.