Scheduler: how does it work?

I use Duplicacy from the command line only, for my home server. I was just browsing through the Duplicacy website and noticed some mentions of a scheduler. But by the looks of it, this feature is only available in the GUI version?

Personally, I trigger backups from a cron job. Is this the best practice?

It suits me, because the script that triggers the backup will report start and result of a backup so it shows in a dashboard I run and notifies me of fails. But open to improvements!

Yes, the bulk of webUI functionality is to manage scheduled tasks, but it does not rely on system scheduling facilities, and instead runs its own, in-process, and hence need to be always running.

If it works and does what you need — why change?

You may want to consider using system tools — systemd or launchd — as those provide some configuration that may improve user experience — such as IO and task priority configuration, more flexible scheduling based on system events and services availability (e.g. only start backup if or when a specific filesystem is mounted)

On the other hand, if time based schedule is all you need — then cron is definitely much simpler to use.

Thanks for the comments. I prefer command line use, and have no need for the scheduler. No action needed!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.