Seeking advise on backup migration (copying)

I am seeking advise on the migration (copying) of all backup data to a new drive. The original drive is an encrypted storage and i have used another file manager to move 16TB but i cannot see the backup ID’s in the restore option in the GUI version of dup. Obviously i am trying to check stuff before deleting the source.

What have i done wrong, what is missing?

Is it the encryption on the source device and non on the destination. I was assuming after the transfer one could setup the storage again and enter the storage key then.

This post made the process seem such a breeze. Move Storage and keep backups/schedules - #6 by stefan1

Make sure you transferred the entire directory structure of the storage, which contains a chunks and snapshots directory, along with a config file.

Just as important, you need to point the new backup destination to the root of this location.

Personally, I’d recommend you don’t edit the json directly - delete the original storage in the GUI (it won’t delete data) and re-add it with the same storage name. This is relatively foolproof, since a successful add is only possible if the config is located.

Thanks for your feedback,
I have migrated the data: Config, Snapshots & Chunks.
The file manager adjusted the permissions slightly and the owner to the host machine. but i put it back identical to the origin.
I have tried the manual json edit and the GUI approach for the storage. Eventually restoring the original .json to undo.

The origin shows the lock at the top left for password encrypted storage but not the destination drive.

If you used another tool to copy all the content (chunks and snapshots folders and config file) then the new storage should be a perfect clone of the previous one, which is not compatible with this statement:

I understand what you are saying, it is a clone yes. i still cannot get duplicacy GUI to see the backup ids from the destination device. I can see the data is there, see screen shot.
Screenshot 2022-10-14 152055

But the Id’s don’t show. see screen shot:

Duplicacy runs as a docker and i have simply changed the address binding outside the container to the destination drive.

Ok, but I still don’t understand this part:

Have you tried running a check on the new storage?

A few days later a large chunk of the issue was the permissions inside the chunks folder were not set appropriately. Yes, i did go through them side by side with the source, this wasn’t sufficient.
My source was a USB Raid 5 external drive the destination is an unraid array connecting over SMB.

Eventually i set all permissions to 777 on the destination and can now see the ids. I ran a check using duplicacy GUI as above and all was present and successful. i ran a restore of some photographs, that was successful. I then ran a backup on one of my smaller backup and that completed fine. Hoping this wont impact future backups and restores having modified all permissions.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.