SSH-Agent on Windows

I’m using the agent of KeeAgent for KeePass. Everything works with it, like openssh, putty and filezilla.
But duplicacy doesn’t recognize it. I have read some issues on GitHub about the support of agents, but these were all on linux and their issue was, that they needed to just press enter if prompted for a key and duplicacy would use the agent.
This is not happening on Windows.

Is there a know workaround or can this be fixed?

Duplicacy communicates with the agent via a unix domain socket whose address is set by the environment variable SSH_AUTH_SOCK. Old versions of Windows do not support unix domain sockets but it looks like Windows 10 and 11 do. I’ll try to figure out if it is possible.

1 Like

This rings a bell. I use KeePass, but not KeeAgent (looks interesting - might try myself), but PuTTYs pageant instead.

Think they have a better method now, but there was a time when VS Code required a hack involving a tool such as wsl-ssh-pageant in order to get pageant (which I don’t think uses SSH_AUTH_SOCK) working with VS Code to access github and remote ssh repos et al.

Have a little .bat I run before pageant (OpenSSH method):

powershell -WindowStyle Hidden -Command Start-Process -NoNewWindow 'C:\bin\wsl-ssh-pageant-amd64.exe' '--winssh ssh-pageant'

Perhaps this may work with KeeAgent?

Edit: In addition to the above command, the SSH_AUTH_SOCK env var needs to be set as per instructions, but dunno if this’d work beyond Pageant with that specific tool.

However, it seems KeeAgent supports both WSL and OpenSSH bridging and could already be built in? Only WSL1 mentions SSH_AUTH_SOCK though.

2 Likes