Storage with missing Data is shown as "Checked"

So I’ve newly installed duplicacy and backed up a test folder from unraid Server A to unraid Server B (using a SFTP app on Server B)

Now I’ve deleted one random blocks on Server B. Restore worked, as I did 5:1 redundancy. However once I deleted more blocks it didnt work. Well that is to be expected.

However, I ran a “check” command both times. Both times, the command itself said “Missing Chunks” in the status, but the Storage Tab never alerted me about this. It still says:

“Status: Checked - All referenced chunks exist”

Is this normal?

Also another quick question: Can I set the backup root where it backups the files from to read-only?

Update: It seems the Storage Tab doesnt update at all. After adding a new folder to be backed up it still says that there is 1 Backup ID total on Server B

bump, any help with this please?

First of all, if you’re referring to Duplicacy’s Erasure Coding and not some Unraid redundancy thing, this is not meant to recover from deleted files! Not even 1. It protects individual chunks from corruption (each splits into 5 shards, generating 1 parity shard in your case, and appending to the same chunk file).

Hopefully, your Unraid fs would protect against lost files (or drive loss) through its own data parity, or you have another offsite copy. But certainly don’t rely on Erasure Coding to protect against ransomware, or someone going in there and randomly deleting stuff. :wink:

You probably got lucky and deleted a chunk from an older revision. Restore -persist is possible, but deleting a single referenced chunk means lost data.

This should certainly be reported as a bug. @gchen? If a Duplicacy check fails, the true status should be updated - not just showing the last known good state.

Yes, you should be able to.

This won’t update until a successful check is done, although that page really should be more informative about when there was a last successful check, plus the true status of the last check - agree.

1 Like