Support Box.com via API, not webdav

duplicacy/README.md at master · gilbertchen/duplicacy · GitHub mentions Box.com via WebDAV and points to this page. However, Box.com has deprecated WebDAV support in January of this year WebDAV with Box - Box.

1. The README should be updated to remove Box.com references.
  2. Can a proper Box.com API support be added? Box offers unlimited storage and transfers and is a very desirable storage endpoint.

Thanks.

Edit: Opened Box.com native API support · Issue #573 · gilbertchen/duplicacy · GitHub.

3 Likes

@gchen Any desire to implement this?

Thank you.

Unfortunately Box.com doesn’t provide a go SDK: https://developer.box.com/en/sdks-and-tools, which means we’ll have to implement the backend from scratch.

I don’t know how many users would be interested in using Box.com as the backend. I’ll give it a try if several more reply in this thread.

3 Likes

I would be interested in using box.com as a backend for sure!

Not sure if this is at all helpful: GitHub - ttacon/box: golang API for box

1 Like

Me too.

Rclone supports box, so while technically there is a solution via rclone serve or even uncached mount — I’d rather avoid intermediate level.

Now that g-suite is no more — box remains the only reasonable unlimited choice.

1 Like

Actually, unlimited is still reasonable with Workspace Unlimited Google Drive storage is getting more expensive with Workspace. I was also afraid it was gone, but it’s still very much there.

1 Like

Ha! That is good to know, albeit its’ indeed 30% more expensive than box.

It does have however benefits of reports of people successfully using it as opposed to rclone/box contraption. Whether it’s worth additional $5/month is to be decided.

Edit. It seems Workspace allows enterprise plan with 1 user, according to the screenshot? That maybe the way to go then; box needs 3 (while I do have 3 friends who are interested in unlimited backup – this may not be the case for everyone :slight_smile:

Another possibility would be to use box by ftp but ftp isn’t supported by Duplicacy either:

I know this is an older thread, but I’m new to using Duplicacy and was wondering whether there is an update on whether Box.com API support will be added. I had some issues with Duplicati and would like to switch to Duplicacy, but my experience with WebDAV hasn’t been great so far.

1 Like

Any update on this? I’d love to be able to use Box!

1 Like

Hi, me too, box.com seems to be interesting.

Since both Google Drive and Dropbox now kinda stopped their unlimited plans, and box.com still has an unlimited plan for a good price, box.com would now be the obvious choice if it were supported by Duplicacy. So yeah, +1 from me for box.com as well.

Box.com does appear to have a limit of 50,000 or 100,000 API calls per month though, depending on the plan. I’m not sure if using Duplicacy would be feasible with that limit, when having millions of chunks?

IMHO, no unlimited plan is economically viable, so it’s only a matter of time before a provider (any provider) starts charging and/or imposing limitations on transactions, traffic, etc., or even on the storage itself, discontinuing the unlimited plan . The past shows us several stories like this.

1 Like

Hi, me too, (http://box.com/) seems to be interesting.

You don’t have to wait, you can easily do this today.

1. In pre-backup script start rclone serve sftp to serve box storage via sftp
  2. Have duplicacy backup to this local sftp server
  3. In post-backup script shut down then rclone serve instance.

The same approach works for any other remote - rclone supports much more remotes than duplicacy, and there is really no point in having Duplicacy compete with that. Duplicacy is good at making backups, rclone is great at accessing cloud storage. Use both at what they are best at.