Synology Docker Volume Management

I recently got a Synology and have chosen to use Duplicacy for backups. I am using @saspus 's image. I initially used the Synology Docker GUI, but did not see a way to add new host paths that needed to be backed up into the running container. It was also not clear to me how I would easily manage the image/container lifecycle (e.g. config changes, new versions, new volume mounts) from this GUI over time.

I then switched to ssh’ing into the Synology and running the container from there. That is essentially working, but in order to add new directories to back up, I created a single read only mount point and then tried to symlink the new dirs to that location. This does not work, even after running a new container (maybe a Docker limitation?). So for now I stop the container, prune it, add the new volume mount(s) to the container config, and create a new container.

Is there a way to dynamically add new backup targets from the host into a running Docker container?

How do other Synology users manage this? I’m looking for a simple and durable approach, but am not yet familiar with the idiomatic pattern using Docker.

Hi there.

On synology you don’t have to use docker to run Duplicacy. This is what I do now: Duplicacy Web on Synology Diskstation without Docker | Trinkets, Odds, and Ends

This not only avoids broken stats reporting with the docker engine version synology is using but also will completely eliminate your issue.

3 Likes

Thanks @saspus, that approach is working great.

For everyone: Feel free to use the :heart: button on the posts that you found useful.

For the OP of any #support topic: you can mark the post that solved your issue by ticking the :checked: under the post. That of course may include your own post :slight_smile:

Hi there,

I tried to follow this path, the web-GUI comes up, but I cannot add a backup and acquire a trial license.
Seemingly this is related to a missing dbus and ca-certificate.
Any idea on how to proceed with this?

Thank you in advance,
regards,

Gilhin

On what OS? Yes, you need persistent machine id and certificates.

You can refer to this Bitbucket example of Duplicacy web on minimal Alpine Linux image for dependencies required.

Sorry - I hoped it to be obvious. I used the Synology approach you described in this thread [Duplicacy Web on Synology Diskstation without Docker | Trinkets, Odds, and Ends](Duplicacy Web on Synology DS without Docker).

Ah, on DSM nothing else is needed. It works as is. That’s why I got confused :slight_smile:

When you say you can’t get license – what happens in the UI? What do you see in the logs?

Edit: if you refer to

Failed to retrieve the machine id: machineid: open /etc/machine-id: no such file or directory

you can ignore it. Of if you want to get rid of the message you can place a compliant machine id on your DMS: sudo sh -c 'cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc abcdef0-9 | head -c${1:-30} > /etc/machine-id'. But it shall work either way. After restarting the duplicacy daemon you would need to login to the UI again once to unlock the config file.

OK. Maybe it was since I started with your docker image and added the other instance on another port afterwards. However, it is progressing.
But I cannot run a backup, the log claims

2020/09/11 08:51:12 Failed to request a license: activate

In the GUI, it shows a valid license until 2020-10-10, but when I click on the “Go”-button for a backup, it says

Invalid or expired license

Furthermore, I realise that the log is in the wrong timezone - how can I change this?

Thank you!

EDIT: And just to give all necessary information: Yes, there is a licenses.json file sitting in the ./duplicacy-web folder and it also has some content.

Furthermore, I realise that the log is in the wrong timezone - how can I change this?

I think this is an actual culprit. If you have mismatched dates the SSL/TLS connection will be failing. Do you have timezone set correctly on the nas? run date in the shell – does it show correct time and correct timezone?

example: Fri Sep 11 00:05:01 PDT 2020

It does:

Fri Sep 11 09:07:10 CEST 2020

Ok, is there anythign else relevant besides “cannot request license” in ~/.duplicacy-web/logs/duplicacy_web.log.

Do you have any SSL firewall between your nas and the internet? does curl -v https://www.acrosync.com work?

Thank you for your support.
I do have a SSL certificate on the NAS, but the curl command is working.

However, I did the easiest thing in the beginning, which was a restart.
Unfortunately, this did not solve the issues. In the startup, the log writes:

2020/09/11 09:15:01 Running /var/services/homes/system_backup/.duplicacy-web/bin/duplicacy_linux_x64_2.6.2 [-log check -storage B2-documents -a -tabular]
2020/09/11 09:15:01 Set current working directory to /var/services/homes/system_backup/.duplicacy-web/repositories/localhost/all
2020/09/11 09:15:02 Created log file /var/services/homes/system_backup/.duplicacy-web/logs/check-20200911-091502.log
2020/09/11 09:15:02 Running /var/services/homes/system_backup/.duplicacy-web/bin/duplicacy_linux_x64_2.6.2 [-log check -storage B2-personalcloudfiles -a -tabular]
2020/09/11 09:15:02 Set current working directory to /var/services/homes/system_backup/.duplicacy-web/repositories/localhost/all
2020/09/11 09:15:12 Schedule Regular Checks next run time: 2020-0911 09:30
2020/09/11 09:33:47 The license may have been issued to a different computer
2020/09/11 09:33:47 Failed to get the value from the keyring: keyring/dbus: Error connecting to dbus session, not registering SecretService provider: dbus: DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS not set
2020/09/11 09:33:47 Temporary directory set to /var/services/homes/system_backup/.duplicacy-web/repositories
2020/09/11 09:33:47 Schedule Regular Checks next run time: 2020-0911 09:45
2020/09/11 09:33:47 Duplicacy Web Edition 1.4.1 (074ED2)
2020/09/11 09:33:49 Duplicacy CLI 2.6.2

Would it be reasonable to think that the issues might occur, since the log shows that the license was issued to a different computer?

Thank you for your feedback.

I don’t see any issues with your log. Key ring and dbus errors are expected because there is neither key ring nor dbus on DSM.

It seems your check has started and completed successfully. There will be separate log file for the check command.

What happens when you try to run backup?

Is your NASes hostname linked to the license in your Acrosync account?

When I try to run the backup, the GUI shows “Invalid or expired license”.

Silly question - how do I do that? I currently only have a trial license that does not show up in my Acrosync (=duplicacy.com?) account. How can I link these?

@gilhin can you delete the file licenses.json (or rename it to a different name) and then restart the web GUI? It should download a new trial license. If that still doesn’t work PM me the licenses.json file.

Dear,
thank you for your suggestion. The issue solved itself after I have bought a license and activated it on my machine.
Thank you all!

Regards,

Gilhin