The storage has not been initialized

I’m trying to backup to S3 which I’ve previously initialised and backed up to several times in the past. However, when I try today, I get the dreaded “The storage has not been initialized” error.

★ Dalek ★  ~  ᐅ  duplicacy backup
Storage set to s3://eu-west-1@amazon.com/archive.madra.net/dalek

Checking on S3, I can see that the config file definitely exists:

So, given that lack of config file is the usual reason given for why this error occurs, I’m at a bit of a loss.

To re-iterate, this is a backup which has been set up nearly 2 years ago [as you can see from the creation date on the config file] and used to back up several times before without issue. So it can’t be an initialisation error.

OK. I’ve just checked and the exact same thing is happening on my other S3 backup:

★ Dalek ★  griangraifeanna  ᐅ  duplicacy backup
Storage set to s3://eu-west-1@amazon.com/archive.madra.net/griangraifeanna

Same error but the config file is also present in that S3 bucket:

BTW. Running duplicacy -d backup I get the following:

duplicacy -d backup
Storage set to s3://eu-west-1@amazon.com/archive.madra.net/griangraifeanna
Reading the environment variable DUPLICACY_S3_ID
Reading s3_id from keychain/keyring
Reading the environment variable DUPLICACY_S3_SECRET
Reading s3_secret from keychain/keyring
Reading the environment variable DUPLICACY_S3_ID
Reading the environment variable DUPLICACY_S3_SECRET
Reading the environment variable DUPLICACY_PASSWORD
Reading password from keychain/keyring

Are you running the latest version? There might be an old version that ignores the directory part and only check the root directory for the config file.

If you are already running the latest version, then maybe a permission issue can cause that?

I was running an older version when I first came across this problem. But I’ve since updated to 2.2.3 (58387C) and am still seeing the same issue.

What should the permissions be on the config file?

And, as I said, it was all working before with whatever the old version I was running was. 1 point something

I think I’ve solved it. It seems that Duplicacy was reading the S3 key and secret key from the wrong environment variable, or had older keys saved there.

I ran duplicacy -d list -reset-passwords and entered them again and it’s working now.

2 Likes

For anyone: Feel free to use the :heart: button on the posts that you found useful.

For the OP of any #support topic: you can mark the post that solved your issue by ticking the :checked: under the post. That of course may include your own post :slight_smile: