Tips for setting up Duplicacy Web Edition (Web-UI) with Blackblaze B2

As I setup Duplicacy Web Edition on the various machines on my network I had some confusion about what parameters I needed to have handy. So I made these notes that others may find useful. I suspect this may be very similar for other storage sites besides Backblaze B2

Settings for Duplicacy Web Edition

1) **Password**: “Configuration file” or “Encryption” password. On first launch Duplicacy Web Edition will present a webpage from 127.0.0.1:3875. This page will ask for a password that is used to store all the passwords and credentials that the application uses.
2) Storage info (for Backblaze B2)
    a) **Account/Key ID** 
    b) **Application Key** 
    c) **Bucket name** 
    d) **Storage Name** (This is NOT from Backblaze B2, this is just a name that Duplicacy will use for this set of storage settings.)
    e) **Storage Password** (This is NOT from Backblaze B2, this is just a name that Duplicacy will use for this set of storage settings.)
3) Backup info
    a) **Directory** (This is the top level directory on the machine that you want to backup. You can set further filters on this elsewhere.)
    b) **Storage** (This is the Storage Name from above. You can select it with a pulldown menu in the entry field.)
    c) **Backup ID** (This is pulled from Backblaze B2 for you if you have already configured one.)
    d) After you have saved the “Backup” settings, you can now configure Include/Exclude patterns (previously called filters) and other Options by clicking on the items in those columns on the web page.
        i) **Include/Exclude** patterns (This is a detailed topic, consult the User Guide.)
        ii) Options
            (1) **Command options**  (I recommend: -threads <n>)
            (2) **Global options**  (I recommend: -v)
4) Schedule
    a) **Name** (This is the name you choose for your backup schedule)
    b) **Start Time** (You you have multiple computers/machines that will doing backups you may wish to stagger these in time to avoid competition for your Internet bandwidth.)
    c) **Frequency**, **Run on** (days), **Maximum Run Time**
    d)  Jobs: After you have saved the Schedule you need to add at least one Job to that schedule, or it will not do anything. Click on the “add a job” or “+” indicator in the top right corner.
        i) **Type** (pull down menu: Backup, Copy, Check, or Prune)
        ii) **Backup** (pull down menu: Which Backup above will be done)
        iii) **Path** (will be filled in for you based on the Backup you select)
        iv) Storage
        v) Options (I suggest leaving this blank and filling it in afterwards)
            (1) After you save you can now configure options by clicking on the items in those columns on the web page.
                (a) **Command options**
                (b) **Global options**

NOTE: Typical Schedule Setups may have multiple jobs. Or alternatively, some may have multiple Schedules. For instance, you may have:
• a schedule that runs every hour that has two jobs, one job to backup and a second job to prune.
• a schedule that runs once a week that does a check.
(These schedules are not recommendations, just an example.)

NOTE: on Mac/OSX Settings: Security and Privacy: Duplicacy will need access to the files and folders that are being backed up. The computer should request access to the folders with the first run of the backup that touches the folders, but you can also go directly to the Mac setting
and allow Duplicacy the necessary access.

6 Likes