TrueNAS Scale: Dynamic hostname

I’ve recently moved my primary NAS to TrueNAS scale. I’ve got Duplicacy working in a docker container, but I believe in TrueNAS this is managed by Kubernetes under the hood.

I managed to transfer my license, but I’ve since found that the container hostnames are dynamic. Every time I restart a container, I have to deactivate my license. The only alternative way I can see to solve this is to run Duplicacy in VM instead… however I believe it will then be backing up from Samba mounts and that doesn’t sound like a reliable mechanism.

How have others resolved this problem? I must admit it does seem a little silly that the other problem I’m having with running it is the licensing.

I have no experience with Kubernetes, but it looks like you can set the hostname: Is it possible to set a hostname in a Kubernetes replication controller? - Stack Overflow

Although it’s an old topic, for me it is still current.
The advantage from TrueNAS Scale is, that I don’t have to struggle with Kubernetes, but I can use a frontend where I can manage Apps (see this site for a quick overview Apps | (truenas.com)).
So I can’t just change the hostname and it is not needed in all cases except this one.

Again I had several days without backup because after a restart of my server, the hostname changed and I’m back to “unlicensed”.

Any way to get Duplicacy to work within this use case?

I’ll be honest, I spent a while trying to work around this. I was happy to pay for the service, but when I entered my nth hour of debugging what is effectively a licensing issue, I gave up.

I’m using borg now.

Duplicacy was great, but I couldn’t make it fit TrueNAS. Maybe the landscape has shifted. I’d be happy to revisit.

Hey all,

Just wanted to chime in as I found this thread attempting to set up @saspus’s duplicacy-web on a TrueNAS Scale installation.

I too had issues with dynamic hostname.

The only thing I’ve found so far that works is to check the Provide access to node network namespace for the workload setting in the app.

This gives the container the same host name as the machine, which in turn is static. It also gives the container unfettered access to the host’s network, but in this case it will have to do :slight_smile: .

Hope it helps!
-Alex