Unable to install duplicacy.bin or duplicacy web gui Debian 9 (Stretch)

Hello Friends,

I am fairly new to linux, I am using Debian 9 Stretch on a i686 dual core intel CPU.

I have downloaded what I believe to be the correct items to attempt to install Duplicacy CLI and web GUI editions. My problem comes when I use the terminal and CD to the downloads directory, elevate using sudo and try to run bash (renamed file) duplicacy.bin. Debian seems to think there is no way to ‘execute’ this .bin that I keep getting. I even attempted to apt-get install golang and try to build from source but I became confused quickly.

Can anyone point me to a resource or command I can attempt to get me some Duplicacy goodness zooming along?

Thank you in advance for your help.

if you can’t run it then just make it executable: chmod +x duplicacy.bin.

Needing to mark “executable” files as executable (via chmod +x) is something really normal on a linux machine, and it also happens on macos as you can see here: How do you get the osx cli to run?

I tried downloading the file at the link: https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy/releases/download/v2.1.2/duplicacy_linux_x64_2.1.2 renamed it to just ‘duplicacy.bin’ and set chmod +x on it. I received an error in terminal. I then tried downloading it again from the same link and just naming it ‘duplicacy’ and set chmod again. The error output on both was: ‘duplicacy: duplicacy: cannot execute binary file’ .

I’ve been rendered completely helpless due to .deb files ease of use, it seems. I’m moderately certain I will see the same result with the beta web gui version too.

Any other suggestions?

hehehehe :D.

Do you see the problem here? :smiley:

There is not a build for my CPU, is there…?

Well actually
Your cpu, i686 means 32 bit (x86 – yes naming is hard), not 64 bit (x64 – but after 10 years they got it right).

So you actually need to download the x86 version: https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy/releases/download/v2.1.2/duplicacy_linux_i386_2.1.2.

I’m saying all of these instead of giving you the whole answer right from the get-go because it seems you want to use debian – so you have a lot of things to learn.

1 Like

But well done regarding the reporting of all the details. :+1: This is a nice example why its good to provide any details you can think of. Screenshots serve the same purpose.