Unable to restore "Failed to list subdirectory: open \\?\P:\System Volume Information: Access is denied"

Hi,

I searched for other posts regarding “system volume information” and “failed to list subdirectory” but nothing exactly matched my behaviour, which is this:

`P:>
P:>duplicacy.exe restore -r 1 – “P:\Emstuff\Music\iTunes\Music”
Storage set to Z:\Duplicacy
Loaded 1 include/exclude pattern(s)
Parsing filter file \?\P:.duplicacy\filters
Loaded 0 include/exclude pattern(s)
Failed to list subdirectory: open \?\P:\System Volume Information: Access is denied.
Restoring P:\ to revision 1
Restored P:\ to revision 1
Total running time: 00:00:23

P:>`

I’m running this in an elevated command prompt (I’ve tried an elevated PowerShell window as well)

System is running 2012 R2

It was running Duplicacy 2.2.3, and I replaced the exe with 2.5.2 but I get the same behaviour,

I’m now out of ideas :frowning: Anyohe else come across this behaviour? I’m hoping it’s just user error somewhere… :slight_smile:

Hmm, first of all, it doesn’t appear as if it’s related to access to the protected System Volume Information folder (as it eventually says it’s restored to revision 1).

Your command seems to have a hyphen in the middle and I don’t think that would normally be there (although I understand in other situations it might have a meaning akin to everything after shouldn’t be escaped or parsed, or something like that).

Try changing your command to:

duplicacy.exe restore -r 1 "P:\Emstuff\Music\iTunes\Music\*" as per the example in the restore command guide.

If it IS related to the System Volume Information folder, try restore the folder to a different root other than P:.

You could do this by e.g creating P:\Restore, copying the P:\.duplicacy configuration into that directory as a quick way to initialise against the same backup ID and storage, cd to that directory and execute the above restore command from there.

1 Like

Try this:

duplicacy.exe restore -r 1 -- "Emstuff/Music/iTunes/Music/*"

The patterns are specified as relative paths, so there is no need to start with P:. In addition, Duplicacy always uses / as the path separator, even on Windows.

That’s a great tip! I tried to restore to another location, but it understandably said that location hadn’t been initialised. I hadn’t spent any further time figuring out a way around that.

@gchen I tried your command and got this result:

it errors, no, it complains for information purposes about system volume info but then the restore starts! hurrah. If the restore completes and the daa is all usable, you just earn’t yourself a licensed customer :smiley:

Looks like it was probably user error after all eh? :slight_smile: