Unexpected EOF on backup

I’m attempting to run a backup from a Macbookpro over to my backup drive on an imac.

This has worked in the past from other machines to this backup drive, but with this mac I keep getting a failure like this, during “listing all chunks”:
Failed to list the directory chunks/73/:unexpected EOF

Each time the specific directory where it fails is different. It is not always 73.

I am doing this backup via SFTP, using a special backups user I have created.

Just to be sure, I did a chown of the entire duplicacy folder on the destination drive.
I have also checked that I can do a directory listing of the affected directories as this user ‘backups’. e.g.:

> ls 73
000a242dd91b780206ed8d26ccb6f2ab1d55cdde270315b839ba79d6d83a23
001c7b683b40ef073ad81061002051e358466aef6ee19ba7fdf7f0bb3b386b
00358c0a969494140028fdc5363f55cb06442f47d275807814959484b58599
(no errors raised during extensive listing)

I initially thought it was maybe because one of the systems was going to sleep during a very long listing. So I connected the systems via ethernet, and watched/waited while a backup was attempted. With both systems definitely awake and active, I still got this error.

Is there something else I should try?

Thanks
Morgan

I too am getting a similar issue using SFTP from a MAC to a local NAS.

I also started a thread on this a couple weeks ago.

I have not been able to find the problem.

gchen thinks it might be a temporary network glitch and he says he is going to add some retry logic to the ftp routines. I am hoping this happens soon.

I have added some retries myself to a scripted call to the duplicacy CLI… it is ok but I cant do that at a chunk level… only at the entire backup level and I still am seeing significant issues with a backup level retry logic…

Anyway- you are not alone. I have about 8 machines going to this NAS…some local and some remote… and only a couple are having this problem.

??

Morgan’s case is slightly different since the error occurred while listing the remote directory when the backup just gets started.

You may need to dig into /var/log/system.log on the server to see if there is any log message explaining why the connection was closed. If there isn’t, maybe you need to change the logging level in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.