VSS in Window 10 greyed out

I’m trialing on a couple of machines. On Windows 7, I can select “Enable Volume Shadow Copy” but I cannot select the option on Windows 10. Am I doing something wrong?

You need to run Duplicacy as administrator to have that option enabled. If you do that, please make sure you exit the current running instance first by right clicking the system tray icon and selecting Quit. Otherwise you would just bring the current instance without elevated privileges back to the front.

So this brings up new confusion, sorry. When I run as administrator the option to run at start changes to “Automatically start as service”. In Windows 7, I can access the setting. In Windows 10 it is not checked, and I cannot access it (it’s greyed out).

Also, I’m getting errors with Volume Shadow Copy enabled, and Duplicacy seems to be able to back up open files without it checked. Can you explain the ramifications? Do I need Volume Shadow Copy?

If the “Automatically start as service” check is greyed out, it usually is because the Duplicacy service isn’t installed. There are two ways to install the service: running the executable with the --install switch, or running the installer as administrator, selecting ‘install for all users’ and then ‘install the service’ on the last page.

What errors did you get with Volume Shadow Copy enabled. Without it, you may be able to copy some files that are opened by other processes without the exclusive flag. But if a process opens a file exclusively then you’ll have to use Volume Shadow Copy to back it up.