WARN OPEN_FAILURE - Skipping Files, why?

I have an issue where Duplicacy web on ubuntu 20.04, running as non-root, fails to backup certain files. I believe it is a result of the file name. A snapshot of the log is captured below.

I think the offending character is :. I only think this due to this being a common feature on most of the files.

I’d appreciate some expert opinion on this, please.

WARN OPEN_FAILURE Failed to open file for reading: open /mnt/homes/Karen/Drive/My Library/2-Education/University/Level 4/Project/Report/Reading/Mendeley File (referenced papers only)/Ionic Liquids- Solvents of the future?.pdf: no such file or directory
2020-12-15 07:39:41.980 WARN OPEN_FAILURE Failed to open file for reading: open /mnt/homes/Karen/Drive/My Library/2-Education/University/Level 4/Project/Report/Reading/Mendeley File (referenced papers only)/Novel solvent properties of choline chloride:urea mixtures.pdf: no such file or directory
2020-12-15 07:39:41.983 WARN OPEN_FAILURE Failed to open file for reading: open /mnt/homes/Karen/Drive/My Library/2-Education/University/Level 4/Project/Report/Reading/Mendeley File (referenced papers only)/Selective electroless nickel deposition on copper as a final barrier:bonding layer material for microelectronics applications.pdf: no such file or directory
2020-12-15 07:39:41.985 WARN OPEN_FAILURE Failed to open file for reading: open /mnt/homes/Karen/Drive/My Library/2-Education/University/Level 4/Project/Report/Reading/Mendeley File (referenced papers only)/The Chemistry of the SulfurGold Interface- In Search of a Unified Model.pdf: no such file or directory
2020-12-15 07:39:41.991 WARN OPEN_FAILURE Failed to open file for reading: open /mnt/homes/Karen/Drive/My Library/2-Education/University/Level 4/Project/Report/Reading/Mendeley File (referenced papers only)/http-::www.asdlib.org:onlineArticles:elabware:kuwanaEC_lab:PDF-19-Experiment1.pdf: no such file or directory

By the end of the backup this is the result:

2020-12-15 07:39:49.122 WARN BACKUP_SKIPPED 47 directories and 28 files were not included due to access errors

I could share more of the log but would need to check it over for personal information beyond a name and some details on a university course.

Additionally, I’m getting this pop up:

WARN LIST_FAILURE Failed to list subdirectory: readdirent: not a directory

I can’t figure out what readdirent: not a directory is referring too, any ideas?

Is that directory a network mounted share?

Hi - it is a mounted share, via the following (or similar depening on the share mounted):

//192.168.1.115/Backup /mnt/backup cifs uid=1000,gid=1000,vers=1.0,rw,username=XXXXXXXX,password=XXXXXXXX 0 0

Do those filenames actually contain colons? They are not a valid character for filename on Windows, so I don’t know how it can get it there.

The files would have been created on a Mac running OSX.

I have checked and those : exist.

Fully aware of the time of year so just commenting to prevent issue closure.

Duplicacy just uses the normal system calls to open/read files, so I suspect that if you open the files in command line with head or xxd you should get the same error. Can you try it?

Are you saying it is a OSX network share mounted on ubuntu as cifs?

~$ head "/mnt/homes/user-files/Karen/Drive/Files/2-Education/University/Level 4/Project/Report/Reading/Mendeley File (referenced papers only)/Ionic Liquids- Solvents of the future?.pdf"
head: cannot open '/mnt/homes/user-files/Karen/Drive/Files/2-Education/University/Level 4/Project/Report/Reading/Mendeley File (referenced papers only)/Ionic Liquids- Solvents of the future?.pdf' for reading: No such file or directory

They files are a network share on a Synology - shared at one point by Windows & Mac OSX.

Navigating to it via a file browser the file is there and can be opened. See below.

Two things come to mind:

1. I hope not.
  2. Single quotes don’t work.

And about

?

I guess what I’m asking is whether there is a solution that means I don’t have to rename every file to allow it to backup, or will I need to rename files?

Found a way around the problem.

I followed the log and renamed every file causing me an issue.

:confused:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.