Web UI lost storages and now backups failing

Hi. Sorry in advance for the long post, but I really hope someone can help me figure out what’s going on.

Everything was running great for ~ 6 months then something happened on Mar. 22, which I didn’t notice till now (clearly I need to improve my backup monitoring). The web version service stopped loading at startup so no backups were done since then.

In May I renewed my license. Yesterday I noticed that backups had stalled on March 22, so I loaded up the web UI to find that it had no access to my storages and it showed as unlicensed. I re-activated using the new license key (I would have thought that the renewal would just automatically extend the license??), but I still have no access to the storages.

  • There are supposed to be 2 B2 storages and 2 local ones.
  • One of the B2 is missing completely, and the other has reverted to an earlier name of Test
  • The local storages have changed name too - it seems that they are all referring to an older test version from before I did my final setup
  • None of the storages can be accessed at all - all scheduled backups and checks gave errors. For the localstores I get “ERROR STORAGE_NOT_CONFIGURED The storage has not been initialized” and for B2 I get “ERROR STORAGE_CREATE Failed to load the Backblaze B2 storage at b2://: Authorization failure”
  • duplicacy.json in the .duplicacy-web folder (Windows 10) still shows all storages as they should be and dates from March 22

Is there just a caching issue somewhere?? Using the CLI I was able to access all the snapshots on B2 and everything checks out fine. How can I get the Web version to pick up where I left off?

I’ll add that I just discovered that there are 2 instances of the setup: one under c:\program data.duplicacy-web and one under c:\users<user>.duplicacy-web

It seems to be using the users one while I had everything set up in program data.

Which is preferred? How to I tell it which to use? Was there a change at some point to go from machine to user folder?

One is installed for the current user. Another instance is installed for All users, as a service.

Since you don’t see right configuration when launching one – you need close/uninstall it and use the other one. To be sure – uninstall both, and then install one instance again – either for All users as a service or for yourself only – depending on how it was setup originally; if I understand your post correctly – you want the one installed for all users, with datastore under c:\ProgramData. Configuration is preserved across reinstallation.

Regardless, adding storage back is trivial, if you want to start from scratch entirely. But there is no need to; likely uninstalling the second one, rebooting, and starting the one as a service is all you need to do.

Thanks for the info. Any idea how to specify whether it’s a per user installation or all users? Is it during the install process as for most apps? And why would it randomly change after all these months??

If you start installer as administrator there would be a choice offered.

But I think you just need to uninstall the per-user one and reboot for the system-wide one to load and claim the port.

It would not. Likely both got eventually installed (perhaps during update installation different option got picked accidentally) and now the other instance gets started.

Most likely what’s happened here is you installed Duplicacy for ‘all users’ and in service mode and then at some point run it from a desktop shortcut, which runs as the user.

So if you use service mode, avoid running it from the desktop shortcut, and you shouldn’t have an icon in the tray either. If you do have the icon there, right-click and make sure ‘Start on login’ is unticked and then right-click again and Quit it. From now on, open Duplicacy via it’s web URL:

Ah, it’s starting to come back to me now. I definitely installed it as a service, and added a shortcut to, which is why I ended up using the ‘all users’ folder instead of my user. I guess I never cleaned up the old folder. This week when I found it wasn’t running, I simply launched the app again, forgetting that I needed the service instead of manually launching the app.

However, it no longer appears in the list of services. So the real mystery is why did it get uninstalled. Perhaps a background update to the exe caused an issue with the registration?

I’ll look at reinstalling the service and hopefully everything picks up from there. I’ll post back after I’ve tried that.

One thing you can do is simply re-run the installer (right click, run as Admin) and install over the top - the very last option will ask to install the service.

Here’s an alternative method:

Thanks to both of you for your help. On the weekend, I managed to simply reinstall as a service using the instructions at the bottom of Duplicacy User Guide (once I realized it was the web exe and not the CLI exe I needed to use). That brought everything back to life and all seems good now. Hopefully I’ll remember not to launch the gui in the future, and to just check for the service if I have any more issues.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.