What is the correct way to completely remove Duplicacy installation?

I want to complete remove Duplicacy from my laptop (Macbook) because I would like to do a fresh install to verify that I can access my backups (that I have to right keys and info). Also, I don’t need it on my laptop right now, so it is an unnecessary risk to have it, in case my laptop gets hacked.

Do I just put the application the trash and delete the duplicacy-web entry from the keychain?

Thanks

delete ~/.duplicacy-web, ~/Library/Preferences/com.duplicacy.web.plist

What about the entry in the keychain? Shouldn’t I delete that as well?

Thanks

I would not: Keychain is something you take with you, I treat it as my password database, just like 1Password/LassPass/whatever else folks use these days, because that’s exactly what it is. It’s replicated to million places and snapshotted regularly so I don’t really envision a realistic scenario where information would be lost.

And yet, you can simulate that if you really wanted to – once you install duplicacy do not approve its request to access keychain and make sure you can get all necessary credentials to configure it manually yourself as if you not only lost your Mac, but all other iOS/iPadOS/etc devices and access to your iCloud account they were logged into…

On a separate note, if loss of keychain is a concern – I would print credentials and put that paper into a bank deposit box. But that would be way overkill for most people…

Yes you have taken right decision to protect from hack of your system. You should know about before hacking. You get a ransomware message in you mail or system. You have to do as restore the involved systems because it is fully tested and working. So you can use it

would not: Keychain is something you take with you, I treat it as my password database, just like 1Password/LassPass/whatever else folks use these days, because that’s exactly what it is. It’s replicated to million places and snapshotted regularly so I don’t really envision a realistic scenario where information would be lost.

But it wouldn’t hurt to delete the key right? To make it more inaccessible for a hacker.

You can do that but it would be counterproductive and mostly pointless.

You need to keep the key somewhere. Keychain is one of the best places. If you delete it from keychain, where are you going to keep it instead? In a text file on a desktop? On a post it note glued to the display?

I don’t buy the hacker argument. If your keychain is compromised your hacker already has access to your data directly; there is no need for them to restore your Duplicacy backup

I didn’t have ~/Library/Preferences/com.duplicacy.web.plist but I deleted ~/.duplicacy-web and the application from the Application folder. It seems to work but I’m not sure if my configs are still somewhere on my computer?

You need to keep the key somewhere . Keychain is one of the best places. If you delete it from keychain, where are you going to keep it instead? In a text file on a desktop? On a post it note glued to the display?

I already have a password manager where I store the keys.

I don’t buy the hacker argument. If your keychain is compromised your hacker already has access to your data directly; there is no need for them to restore your Duplicacy backup

I use Duplicacy to backup my home desktop. This is my work laptop so it doesn’t have any personal stuff on it.