Adding folders to backup set using UI still requires knowledge of filters behavior

Please describe what you are doing to trigger the bug:
Add deep path to backup using UI button Include. E.g. folder1/folder2. This results in the
+folder1/folder2/* added to the filter list.

Please describe what you expect to happen (but doesn’t):
I expect that folder to be picked up during next backup. In fact, the expectation is a bit more general: when I select the folder in the UI and click Include I expect the software to everything it needs to in order to get that folder included in the backup set.

Please describe what actually happens (the wrong behaviour):
This of course does not work as expected and without reading the filters syntax documentation it is not obvious why. This is bad, users will thinks that the stuff is being backed up when it isn’t.

How to fix.

• Option 1: Validate filters list and alert user if there is unreachable statements. For example,
    +folder1/folder2/* is unreachable if there is no +folder1/ also present in the list.
  • Option2: When users clicks Include on subfolder – add all the necessary prerequisites into the list automatically.

In either case, it should be impossible to end up with the bad/non-working/broken config using buttons and mouse in the UI.

P.S. I feel like I have already reported something like this before – but I failed to find the topic. Regardless, it’s still broken as of today.

1 Like

This was discussed in Filters Include/Exclude, Could it be implemented to a "tick" folder instead? and it has been added to Roadmap for the web GUI.

1 Like