Allow compression to be disabled in a storage

As I read through this thread and this thread, current there is no way to disable the compression of files right (at least for 3.x versions)?

I also found a few people, including me, want to have a filter for selecting which files to be compressed before backing up, but I guess that’s not easy because it might affect how the files are packed as chunks. Instead, could you please provide a CLI switch to disable the compression at all? By this way I can somehow work around this issue by using two storage and the filters :smiley:.

The second link you provided is the feature request for what you want. I don’t think adding storage-wide flag makes sense; that original feature request (per file type compression) should be implemented instead, if at all.

Ultimately, IIRC if the compressed data is not smaller than original data — it stored uncompressed. Therefore, on one hand, adding support for selective compression by file name or file type shall be trivial. On the other — this will only result in a tiny bit of CPU time savings during backup of new files, at the expense of additional checks for file content/extensions/more things to configure. Is it worth development and configuration time? I feel it isn’t.

In my opinion, the simpler is the software and fewer knobs it has — the better: Fewer opportunities for bugs, and less changes for users screwups, regardless of experience level. For example, Kopia supports per-file-type compression options, among other things, but it’s over-engineered monstrosity I personally don’t trust, and will pick duplicacy over it every time. I like duplicacy specifically because it’s simple and zero configuration.

1 Like

Implement the full filtering functionality is definitely better, but I’m not sure if that will cost too much effort from the developer.

How do you determine whether the compressed data is smaller without actually compressing the data? And as far as I understand, the compression happens after the chunks are created, if some files are chosen for comparison, and others are not, then the chunk making process has to be changed a lot, right?