Can't restore my broken external harddrive

I thank you so much once again @TheBestPessimist. I simply cannot express my appreciation enough – I’m very, very gratefull.

Finally it seems like a succesfull restoring of my photolibrary is in progress. So far 70 Gb of the 620 Gb has been restored. I have had to restart the process a few times after it have stopped; but now it seems like everything is on the right track.

I consulted your Restore command details – and thanks also for that.

I do, though, have to aknowledge that operations like this is WAY to difficult for me, and I should never have engaged in this duplicacy / back blaze business when crashplan stoped their personal version.

Especially when the GUI version doesn’t seem to work for me. I need WYSIWYG solutions. I’ll never be a “Terminal guy” comprehending written operations.

And believe me. I have used hours and hours on searching my problem before I finally tried to get help in this support forum. But as you yourself wrote, @TheBestPessimist, there’s plenty of online help and guides. But when you – as I – don’t know what your looking for, that’s not exactly a good thing.

I therefor need to find another backup solution for the family computers (in total 5) without paying a fortune, but in a way where a simple restore operation doesn’t have to take 2 weeks, and where I have to rely on the good will of fantastic helpful people like the two of you, @TheBestPessimist and @gchen.

I salute you – and hope I don’t have to disturb any of you again!

If the GUI version doesn’t work, it should be fixed. @gchen acknowledged at some point that

I didn’t follow the discussion close enough to say whether this was confirmed, but if it was, I’d like to say that duplicacy is a very (!) young backup solution and it is common and virtually unavoidable that new software like this will have some bugs here and there. Whether you’re willing to give duplicacy anothrr try or go on looking for something else, I therefore suggest to judge the software by

1. the severity of the bugs (e.g. problems restoring = minor, loosing data = major)
  2. the quality of the support you get
  3. the speed at which bugs are fixed.

If, on the other side, the issues you experienced here were not caused by a bug but by a confusing user interface, then this should also be fixed and your help would be appreciated with this. Now that you have got it to work, can you say where you went wrong originally and how this might have been prevented by a better UI?

You may be interested to know that

It is apparent that some files need to be restored with the root permission. I don’t know why running the GUI with sudodid work. The -ignore-owner option of the restore command should help too.

The main issue here I think is the bug that the GUI didn’t report the error when encountering an error during the restore operation. I thought this was fixed in the latest 2.1.1 release – I’ll double check.

1 Like

Dear @TheBestPessimist and @gchen – and now also @Christoph

Heureka – I think we (!) succesed!

A photolibrary has landed on my new external harddisk – it seems like it’s a little smaller than I thought it would be, but as far as I can tell, all the photos seems to be in place.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

As of your kind advise, @Christoph

I believe that you’re spot on in your diagnosis. And maybe that’s exactely what I needed to here. So for now I’m still the happy user of Duplicacy (and Backblaze).

As of the 2.1.0 beta it seems promising. I’ve tried to download and open the beta version, but with no luck (surprise!). So I’ll just wait till it’s not a Beta version any more :wink:

Once again: Thanks!

With grateful respect,
Laurids

2 Likes