Drive is not ready

i just did a second PC restart and still same error. nothing else i use server wise even uses that port number

EDIT: I got it to work. edge kept trying to open the gui over and over and over…WTF edge

and it still gives drive not ready… must be a permissions thing

Make sure you uninstall the first instance. Then restart the service or reboot the host. Then open the web ui by navigating to the URL in the browser, don’t launch the application. http://127.0.0.1:3875

Otherwise you are likely still talking to the instance installed for the user: if it starts first it will open the port first, and the service will fail.

1 Like

thats how i did it. What was going on was microsft edge kept trying to open multiple instances of the web gui for some odd reason. Edge does some weird stuff. Wish i could use firefox but i cant because my schools online platform does not work with firefox.

anyway, im back in the GUI but still same issue with device not ready. Im guessing permissions. So to work around it, i copied the files i want to backup, and put them on another drive that duplicacy can open.

So here the next question. I have my first backup scheduled for tonight at 2am. Once the files are all copied over, if i make any changes to any of the files, will it update the backed up files with said changes? because windows 10 autobackup does not…

What do you mean? It was trying to navigate to that url multiple times? That’s harmless. Browser cannot launch applications for you. And that message box was new duplicacy instance complaining that it cannot capture the port and exiting.

The way installation of duplicacy is handled on windows needs a lot of improvement.

You can use different browsers for different things :slight_smile:

In the task manager find duplicacy_web process and check which user accounts is it running under.

Yes, it will create a new snapshot for the new state of your files.

You mean File History? It keeps version history as well. I’m not familiar with auto backup (but I haven’t used windows for a while).

1 Like

hmm, then i wonder what was trying to launch the application then, but now it is working.

You can use different browsers for different things :slight_smile:

I know, i just hate having so many installed. Just want one to work for everything haha

You mean File History? It keeps version history as well. I’m not familiar with auto backup (but I haven’t used windows for a while).

the auto backup option in windows 10, only copies the original file or folders in the parent directory. Its a known issue and bug according to the microsoft forums. So lets say i have a folder called school files. in said directory are 30 folders, maybe 20 files etc. Windows auto backup will backup the original files. But if you add more folder or images, it will not look for changes at all. Its supposed to, but it doesnt.

Yes, it will create a new snapshot for the new state of your files.

Am i able to actually see the files in the snapshot? IE, lets say i only need one file or want to look at one image i have in the snapshot, can i browse those files? or is a snapshot a single “file” that has all the data in it?

thanks

Wow. just wow. No comment here…

Define “see”? You can use duplicacy to enumerate revisions, files in each revision, and restore a bunch or all files from a specific revision. There is a feature in the works to mount the revisions as a filesystem for you to be able to browse with native tools such as Explorer. But if you’re asking whether duplicacy keeps your files plaintext at the destination—then no. You can look at what’s there—a few folders with binary encrypted chunks. But this is not unlike NTFS nor any other file system—it’s an illusion that is created for you to represent binary data with higher abstraction level. Here is a good discussion on this exact topic, to avoid repeating this here: File Format/ Accessbility. You may also want to read the paper if you are interested in how duplicacy works.

1 Like

Ok, so i have duplicacy backing up to a mapped driver over ssh using sftpDrive software.
if i browse the files of the mapped drive, will i be able to see the actual backed up files like if i did a copy/paste sorta speak?

Backup directly to SFTP server instead of mounting it and backing up to a mounted disk: doing the latter only reduces reliability and introduces unnecessary complexity, failure points, and risk (e.g. ransomware destroying your backup much easier).

Please read the topics I linked in my previous comment.

1 Like

i am reading the paper now. Thans for that information.

ok, ill change the settings now then and not backup to the NAS via ssh.

My key has a passphrase, will that be an issue? i cant remember if duplicacy can hanlde passphrases or not?

well, duplicacy may be able to handle pass phrases but it doesnt like my key for some reason. I am using openssh and all the other sftp clients use this same key just fine…

You mean the opposite, right? It’s ok to back up via ssh.

I think it was implemented long time ago: SSH key with passphrase

1 Like

yeah, i ment the opposite haha.

ok, keyphrase worked, just labled password is all, however, duplicacy does not like the key. All my other clients used this key. I might have to recreate key pair just for duplicacy in a newer cipher?

You need to update your sftp server to use modern cyphers, or switch duplicacy to compatibility mode (sftpc): Which ciphers does duplicacy support for SFTP? - #4 by saspus

What is your SFTP server? Isn’t it Synology by a chance?

1 Like

server has all modern keys available. This key is a RSA 3072 key. RSA is old. I can do the ECDSA keys as well.

I am using Bitvise as my server:)

hmm, i just generated a new keypair using the ecdsa 521 and duplicacy still doesnt like it.

How do i switch the gui to compatibility mode?

thanks

Ok, this is what bitvise support said to me:

the error in the screenshot is unrelated to the public key. The problem is that the client is trying to use the encryption algorithm “aes256-cbc”, which is disabled by default in recent SSH Server versions. The algorithm is disabled because CBC algorithms have a security weakness against active attacks, and are therefore not recommended for use.

I don’t think bitvise support is correct.

That error means that your private key is encrypted by aes256-cbc, but earlier versions (1.4.0 or older) of the web GUI couldn’t decrypt private keys encrypted by this algorithm. This was first reported in Which ciphers does duplicacy support for SFTP?

So you can either upgrade the web GUI to the latest version, or regenerate your private keying using aes256-ctr rather than aes256-cbc.

1 Like

i am using the newest version 1.6.3 of the GUI, i just installed it today:)

According to my server settings, i am using the ctr encryption. That is whats throwing me off of why i keep getting the error. CBC is not even turned on in bitvise by default in encryption settings. Its super strange and driving me crazy hahaha.

according to my server settings, cbc is not enabled. CTR is, but not CBC

I know it will all work out. Im not to worried

here is the screen shot of the encryption methods it is able to use

aes256ctr is on there but keys dont use aes. AES is the encryption for the end to end tunnel once authentication has happened via the keys. yes, AES does use a “key” sort of speak but i can not generate key pairs that use AES256ctr, thats impossible to do because private keys do not use AES. AES is part of the setup during the handshake process when authentication is happening using public/private keys, but AES is not used to generate private keys. public/private asymmetrical key pairs that can be created are only used for authentication, not encrypting the connection.

Does your private key file start with lines like this:

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
Proc-Type: 4,ENCRYPTED
DEK-Info: AES-256-CBC,EAA83BBE439FD1AA75DF7B49F3EC15B6
1 Like