Feasibility of Azure Archive Blob Storage as backend

I’ve recently started using Duplicacy and I’m trying to evaluate the pricing of the various cloud storage backends.

Azure Blob Storage’s Archive tier seems to be the cheapest per-GB of the ones I’ve looked at, but is it feasible to use it as a backend for Duplicacy?

Failing that, Backblaze B2 seems to be the cheapest non-archive storage. Is this correct?

I think so, closely followed by Wasabi: Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: Amazon S3 vs Azure vs B2 .

This topic may interest you:

1 Like

Well, sort of. Depends on how much data do you have and how do you want to balance cost/performance/convenience, and don’t forget to factor in egress costs.

I was re-evaluating cloud storage costs recently myself, and here are my findings summarized: (searchable, sortable table): Cloud Storage Pricing, Revisited | Trinkets, Odds, and Ends

That said, I would not bother with archive/cold/glacier storage. Extra dancing to make backup software to work with archive storage is not worth tiny cost savings in storage costs, IMO. Hot storage is not that much more expensive, and if you factor in time concocting the hacks around archive storage to make it work - it turns out actually cheaper.

4 Likes

I noticed that table doesn’t have Google Drive via G Suite Business - have you looked at that?

No, it is there ah, right. Business is unlimited storage at fixed price so it does not really matter.

Google drive has other issues though — such as slow enumeration so I would not use it regardless (same goes for OneDrive btw). Those services are not designed for bulk storage and don’t perform well in these scenarios.

Nice work! :clap:

I have the same opinion.

1 Like

While I haven’t done any pruning yet, I find that G Suite Google Drive is pretty great for both Duplicacy backups and Rclone.

With Rclone, I recently setup my own client ID. I wonder if doing the same with Duplicacy would be beneficial?

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Using Google Drive File Stream with :d:

Thanks for the responses. I’m expecting to store a total of around 4 TB and not download all that much, so B2 looks like it will be the cheapest option.