GCD Using Own Credentials

With Rclone, I was able to use Google cloud service account credentials and impersonate (Google drive) myself to let Rclone access my own Google Drive. It looks like Duplicacy will allow me to use this service account’s JSON credentials file, however the files are put in a hidden Google Drive of the service account which I can’t access. Is it possible for Duplicacy to either impersonate me or perhaps access a team drive which is shared with the service account? Alternatively, are there instructions for setting up a Google Cloud OAuth client and generating a JSON file which can be used by Duplicacy without allowing access to the normal public client? I’d rather not provide full Google Drive access like this.

1 Like

Alternatively, are there instructions for setting up a Google Cloud OAuth client and generating a JSON file which can be used by Duplicacy without allowing access to the normal public client?

Hey, this was exactly what I was looking for too. Here’s my proposal from yesterday - it seems perfectly possible to use Duplicacy with a reduced scope that only gives it access to files it created:

In order to access a Google Drive directory using a service account credential, you need to add the email address of the service account to the share list of the directory. I forgot to mention this in the user guide.

What would be the gcd:// URI for a service account to access a folder outside of its own Google Drive?

@gchen, I’ve started looking at this again. Is there a way for a service account to access my user’s drive instead of its own hidden drive?

Did you try adding the service account email to the share list of the storage directory?

@gchen, the service account did have the directory shared with it, though I don’t think I had the correct gcd:// URI. Do you have any experience with using a gcd:// URI for a drive other than the user’s own?

I only tested sharing a storage directory in My Drive with the service account email address and that seemed to work as expected.

Did you mean you want to use the service account to access a Shared Drive? That may not be possible, because Folders in shared drives can’t be shared (according to 4. Share and collaborate in shared drives - G Suite Learning Center).