How to include all (future) subdirectories in a backup?

I have a directory I want to back up that will get new subdirectories over time. I have found other posts on the forum (Backups failing "No files under the repository to be backed up" in directory with files) that have shown you need to include every subdirectory explicitly.

However, I want to set the backup up in such a way that I don’t have to keep checking if it is backup up all subdirectories. How can I achieve this?

All subdirectories are included by default.

Does that also apply when I have included a couple of specific folders. Such as +data/media/shows/*
?

If filter file contains only exclude patterns – the rest is included. If filter pattern contains only include patterns – the rest is excluded. If it’s a mix – I think it’s default include, but I’m not sure. It’s always best to add the explicit default at the end e.g -* or +*.

Thanks!

I ended up switchting from including patterns to just excluding patterns and that did the trick.

1 Like

Default include is much safer than default exclude going forward too: it’s better to backup something you did not need, than miss backing up something you did.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.