How to investigate growing size?

I am still quite new to both duplicacy as well as wasabi (the cloud storage I am backing up to ultimately). I have all versioning disabled in wasabi. I also am regularly pruning following my backups.

I have the impression that the amount of storage used is growing far in excess of the actual growth of my repository and the retention policy enforced by my pruning.

I am not really sure how best to start in terms of investigating this as both the list and history commands do not appear to be particularly well suited to this sort of analysis. Does anyone have any suggested duplicacy commands and/or approaches in order to identify and better understand the source of the growth and ideally to suggest ways to address it?

TIA!

You may want to look at the check command, with -all -stats -tabular as options. This should give you a better idea on storage usage between snapshots.

1 Like

Do note that checking may take more than 10 minutes if you have multiple repositories and revisions!

You may want to run this: duplicacy -d -log check -all -tabular.

1 Like

Just a small aside…

One thing I noticed about those -all, -stats and -tabular options, is that the docs say the latter two implies -all i.e. turns that option on if you don’t specify it. -stats does indeed enable -all if you don’t specify, and -tabular does indeed turn on -stats, but it doesn’t in turn enable -all which would make sense according to the docs.

(So your usage above works fine but I always thought the implementation with that needed fixing a little.)

1 Like

never paid attention to that, but will test and return with a response. (i always use that exact check command from above w/o thinking about it)

I think that the increase in storage may be related to https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy/issues/334 and https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy/pull/456 as duplicacy still has some inefficiencies when dealing with small files or with files which get moved around.

1 Like