How to proactively monitor the growth of backup size

Hello, I am considering that I switch to Duplicacy, but one thing still bothers me.
How could I prevent backup size increase by accident ?

I think I understand that Duplicacy unlike Duplicati2 cannot remove files from backup ( Remove specific files from the storage )

But we can see size of each snapshots in backup (How to investigate growing size?)
And with Prune is possible remove snapshots from backup.

My fear is: What if I accidentally copy something big to repository and I find out late, for example after two weeks?
What choices I will have? I have to live with larger backup forever, or I have to Prune last 14 snapshots and lost last two week of backup?

Is there some roadmap/hope that Prune will in future can delete files in backup?
Or is there some tool similiar to dupReport? or duplicati-monitoring so I can check weekly report and notice unexpected growth?

Thank you:)

To prevent that you only fibd out two weeks later, you can monitor your logfiles. I am also planing to do this but haven’t gotten down to actually writing the script for it. But the basic idea is to regularly parse the logfile for amount uploaded or/and total backup size and then trigger an email or something in case something seems strange. I’m on Windows so I’d use the PowerShell cmdlet Select-String (or sls). On Linux it would be grep.

1 Like

I intend to do exactly the same thing, create a script to monitor the logs (since the messages at the end of the log are well standardized) and report by email.

But before creating the scripts (in fact I had already started, but stopped) I’m waiting for the new GUI version, which seems to me, from the screens shown in this post, will allow to evaluate the “growth” of the storage.

2 Likes

This might become a marathon wait: first we wait for the new GUI, then, if it doesn’t do what we want, we wait for each other to do the job… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like