Requirements for Deduplication between different Snapshots / Repositories

I might use duplicacy to backup a few servers.

Do I need to keep certain setttings the same between them for the deduplication to work?

I assume the encryption key needs to be identical, correct? How about the chunk-size settings?

Is that documented somewhere? Or would duplicacy CLI notice if I screwed this up during the init command?

The documentation can be found in the #how-to category.

I suppose you’ll find all you need there, but as a starter: the init command initializes primarily the storage, so if you run init again, duplicacy will notice that and download the configuration from the storage. But the chunk size is indeed something you can’t change once you initialized the storage and, depending on the nature of your repository (i.e. your files to be backed up) there might be reasons not to use the default chunk settings.

See for example here:

And here:

Oh, I re-read the documentation on init on GitHub an noticed this part:

If the storage has been already been initialized before, it will download the storage configuration (stored in the file named config ) and ignore the options provided in the command line.

This answers my questions: I can’t have different settings for encryption and chunksize in the same storage, but it’s already enforced by init.

1 Like