Restore Blocked by Symlink error

Laptop died and I’m looking to restore the backup to a temp folder to sort through and selectively bring over to the new computer. However I get this error:

ERROR RESTORE_SYMLINK Can’t create symlink All Users/Application Data: symlink C:\ProgramData \? \C:\Users\george \Desktop\old Computer Restore\All Users\Application Data: A required privilege is not held by the client.

Old computer was windows 10 and the root Users folder was backed up. New laptop is windows 11.

What is the best way to get around this? I’m not even sure I want to create symlinks that refer to things on the main computer as I’m not restoring in place but rather to a temporary folder I want to pick and choose from.

Thanks!

The easiest way to get around is to run the web GUI as administrator and then it will have the privilege to create symlinks. If you’re restoring to a temporary folder it doesn’t hurt to create those symlinks that may point to nowhere.

If you don’t want to do that you can exclude them by using exclude patterns: Filters/Include exclude patterns

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.