Show guide as sidebar?

There is this theme component which could be useful to have the contents of Duplicacy User Guide shown at all times.

If that seems too much, we can at least show it on #support.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a bit sceptical if this will not be information overload when itā€™s on the frontpage (i.e. Latest) and Iā€™m not sure it will be of much use in #support because who browses that category? Oh wait: will it also be displayed next to any individual support topic?

It doesnā€™t solve the (my!) problem on mobile that itā€™s not so easy to quickly get to the guide. Iā€™m thinking we should perhaps replace the icon link to duplicacy.com with a link to the guide. But thatā€™s another topic.

Another little thing is:

For performance reasons itā€™s recommended that you close sidebar topics so there arenā€™t any replies

But letā€™s give it a try. It should be on now (I canā€™t see it on mobile).

It should be on for what category, coz i cant see it anywhere :-? ?

Sorry, forgot to add it to the themes

1 Like

Note that the guide is already pinned globally, so now new users coming to the site will see it twiceā€¦

I liked the new layout! :ok_hand:

The guide information is ā€œimmediately availableā€ to the user.

Just a detail, thereā€™s something strange about scrolling behavior. It is difficult to access the last items. I think it should roll to the end and stay there, instead of going back to the start.

EDIT:

Oh, I just saw, it has already been reported by the @TheBestPessimist:

1 Like

It seems that Kris found a solution:

1 Like

We need @Christoph to update the theme component. and to fiddle with the settings to try it out.

1 Like

I just looked at the forum via desktop for the first time in weeks and I have to say: I donā€™t like the guide in the side-bar at all. It looks ugly and potentially confusing. Any objections to disabling it? No? Okay, consider it done.

As an alternative, I put the Guide as a global banner. But itā€™s not ideal either. Perhaps we could nicen it using this theme component?

In fact, it doesnā€™t really make sense to have the same post as global banner and globally pinned:

So I think we could make things a lot nicer if we make a dedicated welcome banner which explains/links to all the important things, not only about duplicacy, but also about the forum.

I have to say the banner is horrible.
Itā€™s true that the sidebar wasnā€™t the cleanest thing in the world (but i used it quite a lot, i have to say), but this banner is just huge and ugly. On my laptop it takes half the screen which really really (at first scared me) seems bad and disturbed my workflow.

+1 for killing the current banner.

The difference (to the sidebar) is that you can dismiss it with a single click and you will never see it again. Itā€™s purpose is to provide orientation to new people.

For your convenience, check out your interface settings. Perhaps there is a theme that suits you? :wink:

:white_check_mark:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HTYUmU67pLWv1a8/giphy-downsized.gif

I also liked the ā€œRIPā€ (ā€œobjections? not? done.ā€ :grin:) sidebar. It was not the most beautiful thing in the world, but was practical, saved a few clicks.

But I have nothing against the ugly-banner-that-can-be-turned-off-with-the-ā€œXā€.

Banner is fugly, but wouldnā€™t be so bad if it didnā€™t have to scroll down. So maybe the layout can be changed to span horizontally?

But now that I clicked the X I dunno how to get it back if I need. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wont have time any time soon to create a nice welcome banner but Iā€™ll be happy to copy and paste stuff into places if someone delivers the ā€œcodeā€.

More precisely, there are two options:

1. Create a post (probably in #how-to) which weā€™ll then display as a banner (instead of the one we have now). In fact, I think any moderator can do this, so Iā€™m not even needed. The downside is that formating is very limited and itā€™s not responsive.
  2. Create a banner via the Versatile Banner theme component. Follow the instructions behind the link and send me the code to paste into the theme.

I donā€™t have a strong opinion here.