CLI Log Levels - Skip

Right now -log may give way too much info including every file uploaded, which can be quite problematic if there are lots of files on a multi-user NAS.

Highly appreciate if you can include an option of a bit less verbose, for the uploaded files just report the ones with problems.

Currently you can filter the log output by the message ids, like:

duplicacy -log backup | grep -v PACK_END

I’m thinking of a -suppress option that would not print log messages with certain ids. For example, the following would be equivalent:

duplicacy -log -suppress PACK_END backup
2 Likes

Oh, this would be nice as it could simplify monitoring log files:

That’s good.

I’d propose offering a “loglevel” parameter with a default.

like loglevels 1 2 3 4 5

if just -log, then give you level 3

but user can set -log 1, -log 2… etc…

seems simpler to use

In a way, we already have log levels. The advantage of a suppress option is that it is much easier to use (no need to lookup what’s included in each level) and gives more fine grained control.

thx. at the moment i think i’d like to do away with the “chunk uploaded” messages which is filling up the logs

I use duplicacy-util, btw

thx!

Ah, so this confirms there’s no way internal way of suppressing list of individual files printed out.

I would love to have a “simple”, “summary-only” (or “stats-only”), or maybe even “quiet” (but probably overkill as > /dev/null is fine).
Grep excluding seems a bit silly and heavy handed.

I would some sort of suppress features if it referenced internal logic for what is displayed.
I.e. not just a list of “words” passed to “grep -v … | grep -v … | …”

The current output modes are great, and I use most of them, I’d just ask for one additional which is only summary.
For example, here is what Borg Backup (formerly Attic) outputs:

âžś  ~ borg create --progress --stats --exclude-from ~/borgbackup-exclude-list.txt /Volumes/core/backup//borg/users/myuser::tuesday /Users/myuser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------                       
Archive name: tuesday
Archive fingerprint: c7532972fdfaf715344e37ac09d1aa1028973cadebb091491c651ac4e05e6441
Time (start): Tue, 2019-02-12 01:29:36
Time (end):   Tue, 2019-02-12 01:36:26
Duration: 6 minutes 49.16 seconds
Number of files: 55083
Utilization of max. archive size: 0%
                       Original size      Compressed size    Deduplicated size
This archive:               15.43 GB             13.19 GB              7.31 GB
All archives:               15.43 GB             13.19 GB              7.31 GB

Unique chunks         Total chunks
Chunk index:                   39534                59908
2 Likes

I’m running into issues running from cron where the output is too large for Postfix, and I don’t necessarily need the output. Just some errors and perhaps some stats at the end to confirm that something was actually backed up.

Suppressions would help, but a little too complex for most peoples needs I think.

For log in email notification, you can exclude log IDs, e.g. “UPLOAD_FILE”, to reduce the number of lines.

Ref: Email report is very verbose by default, can i reduce that?

I see the suppress option was added in command line version 2.5.0! Thank you!