It still asks for password:

$ /usr/local/bin/duplicacy -v backup -stats
Storage set to b2://test
Enter storage password:

When I try to set an empty password value:

@ubuntu:~$ duplicacy set -key password -value ""
The options for storage b2://test have not been modified

My question is:

• It is possible to use/save empty password so it is not asking for any password when I run backup command?
  • It is possible to change storage password?

Yes. See here:

3 Likes

Cool, thank you. :slight_smile:

For anyone: Feel free to use the :heart: button on the posts that you found useful.

For the OP of any support topic: you can mark the post that solved your issue by ticking the image box under the post. That of course may include your own post :slight_smile:

Is there any answer to the first half of the OP’s question?

Rebuilding a corrupted VM right now and I basically lost my “.duplicacy” folder with my preferences/config. I know I used to have the storage password saved, because it wouldn’t prompt me during backups. But after re-init from the storage, every duplicacy command prompts me for the storage password, and apparently it’s blank, because it only proceeds if I simply hit Enter.

So back to the OP’s first part of the question: How do we save a blank storage password (or stop duplicacy from prompting for a storage password when it’s empty)?

Windows x64, v2.3.0

If the storage password is blank, then it means the storage is not encrypted, so just set “encrypted” to false in the preferences file.

Ah, I should have surmised that.

This stems from a VM that got corrupted and I was trying to restore; I had forgotten to copy my init info somewhere so I could easily recreate the repository to then restore.

But if an init always uses the info in the existing storage - when the storage already exists - why did it use the -e in my init when the storage clearly is not encrypted? I would think it should have either warned me that the existing storage is not encrypted, but my init specified it. Or at least it should NOT have written “encrypted” = true to the repository config.